Welcome to Kanawha Recycles! This site is a project by the Kanawha County Solid Waste Authority to help Kanawha County residents and businesses responsibly deal with waste.
The recycling facility, operated by West Virginia Recycling Services is located at 600 Slack Street in Charleston (Near Joe Fazio’s, Green’s Feed & Seed, and the Habitat Re-Store).
The location currently accepts the following materials:
- #1 & #2 Plastics
- YES: Drink Bottles, Milk Jugs, Soap/Detergent Bottles.
- NO: Plastic Bags, Yogurt Cups, Flower Pots, “Clam Shell” or ”To-Go” Containers
- Junk Mail
- Office Paper
- Aluminum Cans
- Steel Cans
- Other Metals
- Please sort before coming down, so it’s easier to put into the separate bins
“Reduce, reuse, recycle” is not just a slogan, it’s the priority for how to deal with stuff you don’t need. Here are some ideas to reduce, reuse, and recycle here in the Kanawha Valley:
Buy and use less stuff and the packaging it comes in.
- Buy in bulk (you’ll usually save money, too!).
- Print double-sided!
- Get your name off of junkmail lists.
- Eat more produce than things that come pre-packaged.
- Bring a reusable bag when you go shopping or just carry your item out of the store without a bag.
- Buy stuff that lasts, (and take care of what you have) so you don’t have to buy it again!
Use stuff more than once.
- Reuse plastic shopping bags in trash cans or to pick up after your pet.
- Have stuff you don’t need anymore? Have a yard sale! Sell it in the Ad Bulletin, Craigslist, or other classified ads! Or just give it away on freecycle or donate it to a thrift store or to a friend.
- Buy used to give someone’s unneeded stuff new life! The ReStore in Charleston has some great items for the home.
- Find creative uses for stuff you normally just throw away. (ex: crafts with kids using bottles and cans)
Get your stuff to a recycling center.
- If you have curbside recycling in your town, put it out on the curb! Otherwise, bring it to a nearby recycling drop-off spot!